Turkey tail mushroom is a functional mushroom that can be found in most forests around the world. This is a mushroom that has been used for many years by traditional medicine practitioners, and it’s now gaining the attention of the modern medicinal world.
In this article, we’ll go through some interesting facts you should know about turkey tail mushrooms, including how the mushroom can support your health and even that of your pets. You’ll also learn about why the mushroom is so special. Let’s find out more.
Turkey Tail Mushroom Facts
Here are the interesting facts you should know about the functional mushroom:
Where Do Turkey Tail Mushrooms Grow?
The mushrooms are also known as Trametes versicolor, and it’s a polypore fungus that mostly grows on dead or decaying logs or trees. Maple and oak trees are the most common trees it is found on. Turkey Tail mushrooms are also common in deciduous woodlands, which is why they are mostly found in temperate woods across the world, including Asia, Europe, and North America.
What’s a Polypore Fungus?
This is a fungus type that is characterized by a pore on below the cap, as opposed to gills found on other fungus type. The mushroom generates spores that are mostly found in these pores. Turkey Tail mushroom species mostly grow on wood, and they are non-toxic with a range of medicinal benefits.
What Are Saprophytic Mushrooms?
These are mushrooms that get their nutritional needs from dead and decomposing organic matter like fallen logs, trees, and a range of plant matter. Turkey tail mushrooms are saprophytic mushrooms, which is why you’ll mostly find them on dead and decaying substances. They can digest organic matter to release the required nutrients needed for the future growth of the forest. This makes the Turkey Tail mushroom not only be important for human health but also for the ecosystem.
How to Identify Turkey Tail Mushrooms
There are unique traits to look out for when identifying turkey tail mushrooms, and these traits include the following:
- May be growing in groups.
- White understands with little pores on the surface.
- Free from green hues and algae.
- Mostly grows on dead or decaying trees or logs.
- Surface is fuzzy and soft to the touch.
- Fan-shaped, and usually has a diameter between ½ inch to 5 inches.
- Presence of a concentric band of distinct shades of grey or brown.
These are the most common traits to look out for when identifying true Turkey Tail Mushrooms and replicas.
Are Turkey Tail Mushrooms Edible?
The mushrooms are edible, but you need to note that they are hardy and leathery to chew. They are not toxic and offer so many amazing health benefits, which sets them apart from culinary mushrooms.
How Can I Consume Turkey Tail Mushrooms?
To enjoy the full benefits of the compounds contained in the mushroom, you’ll need to use a lot of heat extract their components. You can boil the mushrooms, like traditional medicine practitioners, and make tea from the mushroom. However, for more precise and easy dosing, we advise taking turkey tail supplements.
Are Turkey Tail Mushrooms Psychedelic?
No, unlike psilocybin mushrooms and amanita mushrooms, turkey tail mushrooms don’t have any psychotropic compounds.
What Are the Common Uses of Turkey Tail Mushrooms?
One of the reasons why mushroom has grown in popularity is because of its positive effects on the immune system. It contains different compounds that act as biomodulators and help in regulating and modifying biological functions and the immune system.
The compounds also provide support to the capacity of the body to heal and repair worn tissues. This is achieved by balancing the immune system and inflammatory responses and fostering healthy cellular activity.
What Are the Compounds in Turkey Tail Mushrooms?
The compounds in the mushroom include the following:
- Phenols: Flavonoids and phenolic acids are present in the mushroom, and these compounds possess antioxidant characteristics. They mediate balanced inflammatory responses and maintain cellular health.
- Trametenolic acid: This compound suppresses the development of different malignant cells and maintains a healthy inflammatory response in the body.
- Ergosterol: The steroid is present in the mushroom, and exposure to UV radiation transforms it into vitamin D2.
- Beta-glucans: These are polysaccharides present in the cell walls of the mushroom, and it possesses immune-modulating properties.
Can Turkey Tail Mushrooms Be Used for Non-Health Purposes?
Apart from the health benefits of the mushroom, there are many other ways to use the mushroom, and this includes the following:
- Food and Beverage Flavoring: The mushroom can be used as a flavoring agent in stews, soups, and food in different cultures, especially in Korean and Japanese cultures.
- Environmental Remediation: Studies shows that the mushroom has the potential to help in breaking down hazardous substances in water and soil, which is vital for cleaning pollution through mycoremediation.
- Arts and Crafts: Historical records show that the mushroom has been used in woodblock printing, basket weaving, and papermaking.
- Natural Dye: The mushroom is also applied for use as a dye for fabric and other materials. However, its extraction process is the main factor that determines the hue it takes, and this can be dark brown or light yellow.
Can Turkey Tail Mushroom Affect Estrogen Levels?
Even though there is evidence showing that mushroom has effects on estrogen levels, available data are limited and contradictory. However, mushrooms have estrogen-like physiological actions, and this may be beneficial for managing menopausal symptoms. A clinical study highlights that the mushroom enhances the production of estrogen in postmenopausal women. With that, it’s likely that the supplement has the potential to reduce associated symptoms like vaginal dryness and hot flashes.
There is also research that shows that the mushroom possesses an anti-estrogenic impact, which may be beneficial for diseases that trigger cell abnormalities. There’s a need for further research to fully understand the mechanism of action of the mushrooms and how it affects body hormones.
Can Turkey Tail Mushroom Improve Gut Health?
Turkey tail mushrooms possess different compounds that have a positive effect on gut health. This includes polysaccharides with prebiotic effects, which provide support for the activity and development of good bacteria within the stomach. Ultimately, this results in better digestion and improved gut health.
The mushrooms also contain triterpenoids and beta-glucans, both of which have antioxidant properties and mediate inflammatory responses. This also helps in providing protection for the lining of the digestive system and increasing its ability to withstand the effects of free radicals. It’s worth noting that persistent gut inflammation can lead to different digestive conditions like inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndrome.
Study also shows that the mushroom has the ability to enhance gut microbiota by boosting the number of helpful bacteria. People with inflammatory bowel illness and ulcerative colitis were found to experience a reduction in their symptoms after taking the Turkey tail mushroom.
Even though there’s a need to fully understand the effects of the mushroom, especially for gut health, currently available information shows that the supplement can balance gut inflammation and digestion.
Are Turkey Tail Mushrooms Good for Weight Loss?
There are different indications showing that the mushroom can help in weight reduction. However, there’s a need for further studies to fully justify this claim. Turkey tail mushroom modulates gut microbiota, increases metabolism, and enhances insulin sensitivity, all of which are vital for body fat reduction.
What are the Benefits of Turkey Tail Mushrooms for Pets?
The benefits offered by the mushroom are not for humans alone, but they also offer betters for pets like cats and dogs. Here are some of the benefits of mushrooms for pet health:
- Balancing Inflammatory Responses: The mushroom contains substances that can balance the body’s inflammatory response, and this is helpful for pets suffering from inflammatory diseases like arthritis.
- Support for Oncological Treatments: The mushroom is applied in treating cancer in animals, but there’s a need for further studies to substantiate this claim.
- Promote Digestive Health: The mushroom promotes better gut health by enhancing the growth of good bacteria and reducing inflammation.
- Support for the Immune System: The mushrooms contain polysaccharides and other vital compounds that provide support to the immune system by facilitating the development of white blood cells.
What Are the Side Effects of Turkey Tail Mushrooms?
There are certain adverse effects to note about the supplement, and it’s important to know these effects. They include the following:
- Interactions with medications like immunosuppressants.
- Skin rash or discomfort
- Allergies with mild to severe symptoms
- Distortion of blood sugar levels, which may be harmful for diabetic patients.
- Stomach upset, including diarrhea, gas, and bloating.
It’s important to know these negative effects and always consult with your healthcare provider before using the supplements.
Can Turkey Tail Mushroom Cause Liver Toxicity?
There is still no proof of harm to the liver caused by the mushrooms. On the contrary, research shows that mushroom offers benefits that can promote liver health. However, it’s important to note that some supplements that contain turkey tail mushrooms are dangerous and may cause harm to the liver. For example, there are cases where low-quality supplements contain contaminants like heavy metals.
Therefore, before taking any mushroom supplement, it’s important to ensure the quality of the supplement. Doing this will help you lower the risk of toxicity.
Where Can I Buy Turkey Tail Mushroom Supplements?
Buying Turkey Tail Mushroom supplements is easy, and you have many options to try, among which include online, from a supplement merchant, or from a food store. However, like other supplements, the quality you get depends on the brand, and there are companies that supply adulterated supplements.
When buying supplements, there are 6 qualities to look out for, and they include the following:
- Does the product contain mushroom alone and no mycelium?
- Is the supplement hot water extracted?
- Does the product come from a trusted and recognized company?
- Is beta-glucan listed in the content? The concentration should be more than 25%
- Has the supplement gone through third-party testing?
- Is the product organic?
If you are looking for Turkey Tail Mushroom supplements that provide all these features, we recommend checking Microdose Bros online store now.