Microdosing While Breastfeeding: How safe is it?
Microdosing while breastfeeding is possible but not completely without risk. That’s why we devoted some time to writing this article about eating mushrooms while breastfeeding.
What is Microdosing?
Microdosing is when individuals consume small amounts of a drug substance. Typically an amount of psychedelic is consumed when Microdosing is too little to cause any visible effects (aka, a full-blown trip). A dose usually consists of around 5% of a conventional dose. Even though visible effects of the psychedelic may not be present, studies have shown the effectiveness of a single microdose to have the ability to make changes on a cellular level. It is even said that microdoses of Psilocybin can restore neural connections within the brain.
Despite the small quantity consumed, there is evidence that Microdosing can produce some of the same benefits as full-dose therapy. These results can be obtained without triggering severe and often harmful hallucinatory effects. When done properly, the effects and benefits of Microdosing can be tremendous.
What to Expect When Microdosing?
There are many reasons one may seek out Microdosing as a treatment. These reasons can vary from improving one’s quality of life to overcoming trauma. There is a strong possibility that Microdosing via psilocybin might soon replace conventional antidepressants.
This is due in part to the incredible benefits that individuals experience when Microdosing, which include:
- Improved mood and a stronger sense of optimism
- A drastic decrease in anxiety levels
- Increased focus and fewer difficulties in concentration
- Motivation and higher levels of energy
- Less social anxiety and better handling of relationships
- More creativity in their thought processes
- Better sleep quality
- Improved confidence and mental strength
- Reduction in the symptoms of depression
- A greater sense of self-worth
While everyone’s experience will vary while Microdosing, the common benefits tend to increase the quality of life of those who partake in the process.
Psilocybin and Breastfeeding
Being a mother can be a tough job with immense responsibilities and a rollercoaster of emotions. Especially for new or young mothers, the task and responsibility can be quite daunting. In trying to balance it all, “Psychedelic Parenting” is becoming a more mainstream and documented phenomenon. More and more voices are heard that advocate the legalization of mushrooms.
To improve their well-being and parenting, modern parents, in particular mothers, are turning to a more vibrant alternative through Microdosing.
The practice allows a mother to retain her responsibilities while also being able to manage their self-care.”
A lifeline of personal and parental care management
For many, psilocybin has become a lifeline of personal and parental care management. After having tried many other self-care methods, parenthood’s mental and emotional strains were not alleviated. Some parents even said that it made them better parents due to their experiences when Microdosing, which included:
- Properly managing the anxiety about their kid’s safety, mom guilt, and the potential depression that comes with raising a family.
- New moms with a heightened sense of overprotectiveness towards their little ones admit that it prevented them from spiraling down their anxious thoughts.
- Microdosing helped mothers feel a stronger connection with their children and enjoy their time with them on a deeper level.
- Mothers who practice gentle parenting report that it makes them see their children through a more sympathetic view and gain better control over their nerves.
- Many women in committed relationships showed a deeper relationship with their partner and confidence in their parenting skills.
While the benefits of Microdosing differ from one mom to another, there are certain aspects that they all seem to agree on. Microdosing is not necessarily about chasing a high or adding a certain element of excitement into their daily routines.
Many mothers turn to it for the opposite motive, to remain well and functioning enough to go on with their usual task-filed days.
The Effects of Psychedelics on Overcoming Postpartum Depression
The evolution in the study of psychedelics has come to a definitive point in which researchers can prove its undeniable benefits. Specifically, the effects of psilocybin are studied. Recently, Yale produced a study in which a single dose of psilocybin was shown to improve neural connections within the brain. It was even proven that microdoses could spur new growth of neural connections lost during depression.
A level of guilt is also typically associated with mothers who suffer from postpartum depression. As the chemicals in the brain are out of balance. Through Microdosing, mothers can recover from postpartum depression faster and relieve the symptoms more naturally and long-termly.
Psychedelics and Breastfeeding
The fact that Microdosing psychedelics is helping many moms suffering from stubborn postpartum depression raises another question, is Microdosing safe while breastfeeding?
There’s a reason why it’s difficult to get a straightforward answer; it’s unethical to put a baby’s health to risk to study the unknown effect of a certain substance. While the general recommendation is to wait until the baby is fully weaned, for some mothers suffering from postpartum depression, that seems like a lifetime on its own.
After having a child, around 11% of moms and 4% of fathers suffer from mental health. Symptoms of postpartum depression (PPD) include:
- Feelings of hopelessness
- Lack of interest in daily activities
- Inability to experience the joy
- Suicidal tendencies
- Memory problems and difficulties are focusing.
These symptoms affect the mother, spouse, and child if left unattended. By Microdosing, new parents can balance out their feelings of depression while maintaining a sense of presence in their family’s lives.
Many mothers are also unwilling to drop the benefits of breastfeeding, even if it comes at the expense of their mental health. This raises the question:
Is saying goodbye to microdosing while breastfeeding the only option to new mothers?
Here is what we currently know:
- Psilocybin is considered the safest option while Microdosing, as it has the shortest half-live of common psychedelics. Within 24 hours of ingestion, most psilocybin and psilocin are expected to be eliminated from the body.
- Waiting until the five half-lives have passed before nursing reduces the presence of the substance in breastmilk and is considered safer, but it isn’t completely risk-free either.
- Some mothers report successful Microdosing while pumping to evacuate their milk supply until the time of 4 to 5 half-lives of the psychedelic has passed.
- Opting for donor breast milk to eliminate all the doubts that come with Microdosing has become another option for Microdosing mums, although sometimes expensive and unavailable.
But Microdosing while lactating doesn’t come free from risks, so here are things to keep in mind:
- The long-term effects of magic mushrooms on babies have not been studied yet, so it’s unknown whether or not Microdosing can lead to defects in a baby’s growth or normal development.
- If you’re in an area where psychedelics are not legalized, you can be criminalized and have your child taken out of your care.
- It’s not advised to practice Microdosing if you’re in an area where psychedelics have not been fully legalized. It makes you more reluctant to seek professional medical care when needed.
- Always consult your doctor or primary health care physician before taking any drugs that might carry a risk to your baby.
So what now?
The truth is we still have a long way to go before all the aspects of Microdosing are based on rock-solid scientific trials and research. Especially when it comes to women’s health and the process of motherhood. However, throughout history, mothers safely consumed psychedelics while breastfeeding in many indigenous cultures. This was back in a time without any stigma around psychedelics and with the adequate health and emotional support these women needed.
Many mothers might report safe Microdosing during lactating without adverse effects on their children. Keep in mind, though, that there are many factors to consider that differ from one person to another. It’s best to have medical guidance to tell you when or if you should worry.
Purchase Mini Mexicana at Microdose Bros
Clinical trials of MDMA and ketamine are getting a decent amount of attention in the research community. Several states have legalized psilocybin, which is a good first step toward learning more about it. It will likely be years before the recreational use of psilocybin psychedelics comes with formalized and certifiable knowledge of its effect.
More research will be done on how new moms can achieve the incredible benefits of psilocybin through Microdosing.
Until then, only you know what is best for you, and knowledge is power. To learn more about Microdosing and find out the best route for your journey, check out the rest of microdosebros.com for more information.
Buy Magic Truffles discreetly at Microdose Bros. Magic Truffles contain high quantities of visionary psilocybin. Popular varieties are available at our online store.
Follow our Instagram and our Microdosing blog to keep learning about Microdosing.
If you have any more questions, please get in touch with us via WhatsApp or email us for more info. Our Microdose Bros team can answer your questions there.